Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How do I update my mailing address or name?
      A: From the main page on the website under "Online Services", a mailing address can be updated using the tab "Change Your Address" or by submitting a Name and Address Change Form to the office via mail or fax.
          To change your name, you will need to submit a Name and Address Change Form to the office along with a copy of legal documentation supporting the name change. 
Q: How do I renew online?
      A: From the main page on the website under "Online Services", select "Renew a License".  This will take you through a series of screens and allow you to complete the renewal process online, including printing your license.  To print your license: after the payment has processed and you are given the option to print your transaction receipt, scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Finish and Print License".  From that point you are able to download and print your license. 
Q: ​How do I obtain a duplicate license?
      A: You now have the option to print your license any time from the website.  Under “Online Services” on the main page, select “Print Your License”. 
Q:  How many continuing education credits do I need to renew?
      A: The amount of continuing education required has not changed.  Medical imaging professionals, advanced imaging professionals, radiographers, nuclear medicine technologists, and radiation therapists are required to obtain a minimum of twenty-four (24) continuing education units per biennium.  Limited X-ray Machine Operators are required to obtain a minimum of twelve (12) continuing education units per biennium; a minimum of six (6) units must be related to radiation safety or medical imaging.
Q:  Do I need to send my continuing education certificates to the office?
      A:  It is no longer a requirement for renewal to submit the continuing education proof to the board.  As part of the renewal process, you will attest to the fact that you have completed the required amount of continuing education.  If you are selected for a continuing education audit, you will submit the continuing education proof at that time.  Licensees are responsible for maintaining proof of continuing education for the current and previous biennium.
Q:  Why am I getting the message "You are not currently in your renewal cycle" when I try to renew my license online?
       A: The renewal cycle begins on the 1st of the month prior to the month in which your license expires and ends on the last day of the month in which your license expires.  The online renewal process can only be completed during that time.  
Q:  What happens if I have allowed my license to expire?
       A:  If you allow your license to expire, you must cease and desist performing medical imaging or radiation therapy procedures immediately until you have a current license in hand.  Reinstatement fees associated with late renewal are applied as well as civil penalties for performing medical imaging or radiation therapy procedures without a valid license.  Please contact the office for more information, 502-782-5687.
Q: How do I obtain a Kentucky Radiation license?
     A:  Print and complete the License Application submit with the supporting documents and required fee.  Processing of a complete application can take up to four (4) weeks.
Q: Where do I get a state criminal background check?
     A:  To obtain a state criminal background check, contact the state police department within the state you currently reside or work in and any other state in which you have worked or lived in the past five (5) years.  The state background check must be completed within six (6) months of the application.  Please note: Results of county criminal background checks are not accepted.  Results of a nationwide criminal background check will also meet requirements.
Q:  I currently hold a temporary license.  How do I obtain a permanent license?
     A:  If, prior to the expiration date of the temporary license, the individual has successfully obtained certification through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) or the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB), the temporary license will be converted to a permanent license upon submission of documentation of the ARRT or NMTCB certification and this form: Update of Contact Info Temp to Perm-Med Img Ther.pdf.  The expiration date of the permanent license would be set to the last day of the licensee's next closest birth month.  No fee is required if the process is completed prior to the expiration date of the temporary license.
Q:  What if I have a temporary license that has expired and have not successfully passed the certification exam?
     A:  If the temporary license has expired you must cease the performance of medical imaging or radiation therapy procedures immediately.  Once certification has been obtained through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) or the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB), you would be eligible to apply for a permanent license by completing License Application along with the associated fee. 
Q: I hold a Limited X-ray Machine Operator (LXMO) license in another state.  How do I obtain a LXMO license in Kentucky?
     A:  To obtain a LXMO license in Kentucky, you will need to complete an application and provide information pertaining to the educational institution in which you received your training along with the results of your limited scope exam.  Please contact the office for further details.